Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pakistani food


 I tried a new region's food last week - Pakistan. The flavours were similar perhaps to North India, yet very distinct. I made rajma which was a red kidney beans in sauce dish. This was quite good and I would make this again. I also made nauratan pullao, a mixed vegetable pilaff (rice) dish with cumin, cardamom pods, bay leaves, cinnamon, pepper corns and chili powder. This latter dish was interesting, but I'm not quite sure I'd make it again. One thing interesting though was that you sauteed the vegetables in the spices first, then add the rice and water to the pot, allowing the rice to cook IN the spices. It had a spicy kick to it, but also a very sweet flavour.
Red Kidney Beans with sauce

Mixed Vegetable Pilaff


The highlight of this cooking experience for me was the flat bread! I had never baked a flat bread before. I couldn't find a genuine Pakistani bread recipe so I made an Indian Roti. It has saffron (which came straight from Morocco thanks to a good friend!) and cilantro in it. And then you dry fry it. It was delicious

Indian Roti

No comments:

Post a Comment