Friday, April 9, 2010

Discovering Sri Lankan food

Yesterday, I was determined to cook after being away for a few weeks. Due to the pouring rain and the lack of groceries and fresh produce, I began a search for a recipe that used up ingredients from my cupboard. In addition, I wanted to try a recipe that I had not done previously. I thought this to be an almost impossible task. I almost admitted defeat and pulled out the pasta and tomato sauce when I discovered a Sri Lankan dish called "Cadju curry" (Cashew nut curry). Lo and behold it was precisely what I had been looking for and I had all the ingredients sitting in my cupboard just wishing to be mixed together to make this yummy curry.






One of the things I love about international cooking is how they combine so many different spices, and often spices I would never consider putting together. The final flavour is unique - you cannot pick out any one particular spice. This dish contains the following spices: cinnamon stick, ground cloves, cardamon pod, curry powder, fenugreek, ground coriander, ground cumin, chili powder and turmeric. The main ingredient, cashews, is cooked with onion and garlic and then simmered with coconut milk and served on rice.

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment