Monday, August 30, 2010

Journey to Japan


Tonight my friend L. and I made a very yummy meal! I tried Japanese food for the first time! SOOOOOOOOO good! It is Unami! (Delicious)

We made Spicy Edamame. Edamames are rich in protein, minerals, calcium and vitamin B1. The chili peppers made it quite spicy, but the soy sauce dressing helped to tone down the spice a bit.

The highlight of the meal was Asian Gazpacho with cilantro pesto. Wow. Whoever thought that vegetables could taste this amazing? I've been reading about Japanese and was delighted to discover their philosophy of food.... one of the things that they value is to try to bring out the natural flavours of the food. So there were no spices added to this chilled raw soup, just vegetables. The cilantro pesto was to die for. I think I will have to make this over and over and over again










We discovered Daikon which is a very large radish. Very good too with a bit of a kick! this salad was made with Daikon, Watercress and walnuts and really complimented the meal.

The main course was chicken presoaked in Saki and then steamed with bok choi, then served with a bit of lime. This was also very good and again, the flavours of the food come through very nicely.

I'm really fascinated now by Japanese food philosophy..... I think about how much I love Moroccan food and how so many spices are used that you can't distinguish any one particular flavour. And that is lovely. But Japanese food is different, it uses combinations that naturally highlight each flavour!

Oh I'm excited that I've branched out to a new region!


2 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks really good! How would you like to come and cook for me in my nice little bachelor pad. In exchange i could write your papers for you ;-).

    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it was really yummy!!! (says L.) I need to get the recipes, especially for the soup!

    ReplyDelete