Saturday, October 2, 2010

Flour and Seeds


There are times in life when you face hard, maybe unexpected or maybe long coming, things. And there are times when nothing can be said, or done to make it better. There are times when things are lost and cannot be replaced. And there are times, within those moments, where silence seems not enough, inaction is inadequate, and the need to do something is strong. I know people who have planted seeds in symbolism of hope of the days to come or in memory of something or someone that was lost. I know others who write, and others still who paint or draw.

My thing is cooking. So I was thinking about my need to do something - anything - and the limits that the details of my life put on such action. I feel helpless. So I have decided to turn my pain and sadness into something beautiful and wonderful and new. Just like I did with the Moroccan food 4 years ago. I am going to master the art of baking bread - in memory, in grief, in anticipation, in hoping for the days to come. Bread will become my symbol of how God works through this particular chapter of my life. It will be my reminder.

Yesterday I cooked my very first loaf of bread from scratch! My new recipe book says that one should start with a white loaf as it is pretty simple for a first loaf. I don't like to do things the easy way though and plain white bread is not the most nutritious. So I decided to attempt a whole grain loaf - with bran, molasses and sunflowers. I enjoyed the process of kneading, and then punching down the risen dough and shaping the bread. The reward of the smell of baking bread was quite wonderful. But the prize - a perfectly shaped bread that tasted amazing. I don't think I've ever tasted bread that good before!

So my new adventure is off to a great start!

No comments:

Post a Comment