Saturday, June 5, 2010

Quack!

At last, I am taking time to update blogs! International cuisine has not recently made its way to my kitchen. However, my kitchen remains active as I try new things.

Recently, I came home after a tough day to a beautiful note and gift hanging on my front door. A dear friend had given me this beautiful cupcake decorating book. I am eager to try out all the new designs. My friend and I went to the bulk barn to buy all the supplies we will need and they are now in containers that add colour and fun to my kitchen. (Seriously, if the world was made of bulk food stores and book stores, I would be in heaven!).

Here is our first project.


I'd like to first make mention of the fact that despite a day of things going wrong, these cupcakes look perfect and tasted even better than they looked! You would never tell that I originally forgot half of the ingredients (as all my friends know- my brain went on a vacation to Honolulu this past week and left me behind).


The decor was prepared: marshmallows cut on a diagonal, jube-jubes and orange candies flattened to look like beaks and feet.




The first cupcake was put together successfully.... marshmallow for the tail, timbit for the head, lots of icing to stick it all together, lots of prayer that it wouldn't fall apart.





We were both rather excited that we got all the ducks pieced together without any heads or tails breaking! They hung out in the freezer for 20 minutes until the icing was good and solid.


The most challenging part of this whole adventure was to coat the ducks in yellow feather like icing. We hummed and hawed about whether we would make yellow icing or melt those fancy white chocolate yellow wafers. The later got a unanimous vote. Especially when we discovered that we didn't have any yellow food colouring. (The second duck face picture is blurry... but i couldn't resist putting it up here!)




Our pictures would not be complete with out a chick tail.

And now... for the final product....

No comments:

Post a Comment